The Ponte degli Scalzi, literally "bridge of the barefoot (monks)" was built on 1934 under the project of the engineer Eugenio Miozzi. Venetians also call it the bridge of the station or of the railway station, because of its proximity of Santa Lucia railway station.
The modern architect looked to the old Rialto Bridge example. Sure enough, the Ponte degli Scalzi is built of a single Istrian stone arch.
The present bridge replaced an old iron bridge built by the Austrian in 1858.
The Ponte degli Scalzi is one of the four bridges linking the two banks of the Grand Canal, together with Rialto Bridge, Accademia Bridge and the new Calatrava Bridge (Costitution Bridge).