In the market area of Rialto district, this Renaissance church has been closed for more than 20 years for renovation and it was open to public only in 2002. It is one of the most unpopular churches in Venice.
Rebuilt in 1538 by Antonio Abbondi known as Scarpagnino after the fire in 1514 that destroyed the whole area, the church preserves the ‘300 bell tower. 

This church is a wonderful example of Renaissance architecture. Its simple and elegant interior, Greek cross, has many important Renaissance works, among them two Venetian masterpieces, an excellent altarpiece of Tiziano with San Giovanni Elemosinaro (about 1535) and one of Pordenone, both replaced in their original places after been at the Accademia Galleries during the restoration of the church. Among the most important works in the church, the fresco of the central dome by Pordenone, restored and now visible for the first time. 


Useful information:

Address: San Polo 480 Ruga di San Giovanni, cap 30125 - Venezia

Opening times: Mon. to Sat. 10.00-17.00

Closed on:
1st January
Eastern day
15th August
Christmas day

Partial closure: 
(Opening time at 13.00)
6th January
1st November
8th December

Full Price: € 3.00
Student price (up to 29 years old, provided with ID): €1,50 
Free entrance:
· Residents of the municipality of Venice (provided with a valid ID)
· Children up to 11 years old
· Religiou people
· People with disabilites and their carer
· Journalists with Chorus credit (released by the Direction)
· ICOM and ICOMOS associates
· Authorized guides
· In-service offial of MIBAC 
· Student and researchers authorized by the Direction
· For groups, one free entrance every 15 participants.

Tickets are on Sale in Venice at the church.

Phone: (+39)0412750462

How to get there: Ferry boat stop "Rialto"

Share on Facebook

You will also like …