Founded in the IX century, and originally Byzantine, the church of San Polo underwent two important restructuring projects: the first took place in the 15th century, with the late Gothic additions including the fine portal attributed to Bartolomeo Bon and the big fleuron on the façade; the second in 1804 when Davide Rossi turned the church into a neo-classical building.
Long-lasting restorations revealed part of the old building of the ‘400. The interior is decorated with paintings of Jacopo Palma il Giovane and Salviati, while on the altars "The Marriage of the Virgin" by Paolo Veronese, “The Last Supper" and "The Assumption of the Virgin with Saints" by Jacopo Tintoretto and Giambattista Tiepolo's famous "The Virgin appearing to San Giovanni Nepomuk".
In the little "Oratory of the Crucifixion", entirely decorated by Giambattista Tiepolo's son Giandomenico; with the "Via Crucis" (1749-1750).
Beside the church, the bell tower, typical example of ‘300 Venetian bell tower.
Address: Campo S. Polo, 2102 San Polo cap 30125 - Venezia
Opening time: from Monday to Saturday, from 10.30 to 16.30
(last entrance and closing time of the ticket office and of the bookshop at 16.20)
(Opening time at 13.00)
Full Price: € 3.00
Student price (up to 29 years old, provided with ID): €1,50
· Residents of the municipality of Venice (provided with a valid ID)
· Children up to 11 years old
· Religiou people
· People with disabilites and their carer
· Journalists with Chorus credit (released by the Direction)
· ICOM and ICOMOS associates
· Authorized guides
· In-service offial of MIBAC
· Student and researchers authorized by the Direction
· For groups, one free entrance every 15 participants.
Tickets are on Sale in Venice at the church.
How to get there: Ferry boat stop "San Tomà"